Okay, this is where I pretend to have a loyal blog following and ask for help:
I desperately need your advice!
[cue the crickets]
Well, to my few (and I mean it in the very literal sense of the word 'few') followers:
What do you think about refinishing this desk?
Should I take the plunge?
How would you refinish it?
1. It was originally my grandfather's so it's sentimental (aka I don't want to ruin it)
2. It's old: as young as 75 -- as old as 100 years?
3. I'm not trying to keep it original so painting it is my first thought.
4. Last and most important: I've never restored a piece of furniture, ever!
The top finish is pretty scratched up. I thought about putting a glass top on this when it's done. What do you think?
Hardware: all intact and not hideous at all.
1. Keep as is?
2. Keep original, but paint?
3. Change entirely -- to what?
I think she has pretty lines.
All the drawers need stops and could stand to glide smoother (suggestions?)
And finally, what type of finish? What color?
I'm thinking an off white, perhaps with some glazing, but am open to suggestions.
Oh and here is the matching chair. It's original to the desk.
Closeup of side detail
Back of chair.
Seat is some type of faux leather and I can see another layer of fabric under that.
To be honest, it's not the most comfy of chairs and I don't know if I'd want to sit in it for long periods of time at a desk.
So do I repurpose it for somewhere else?
Keep it with the desk b/c it's original to the desk?
See? I told you I needed your help!