Thursday, February 11, 2010

It only takes a grain of sand to make a pearl....

.........otherwise known as 'Things that irritate me'

Most people make typos from time to time.

I'm one of them, so this is no way intended to say I never make spelling or grammar mistakes.

Nor am I saying that it should really be a priority for everyone else to dwell on perfecting their 'Interquette' [Internet + Etiquette] ~~ See? I can let loose and make up a word and leave the annoying {{{red alert}}} underline without it bothering me.............ahem.............too much.

The 'proper' term I believe has become 'Netiquette' - either one works - you decide.

However, after spending most of my working life being paid to proofread and correct documents until they are 'perfection' to the powers that be, it's kind of hard to turn that button 'OFF'.

So, this isn't meant to be critical. It's just a way to vent about things I see every day that my inner administrative gal can't ignore. Here's my short list:

There ~~ Their ~~ They're

People who think they're safe by choosing one of the 3 at random and getting it right are at risk of tarnishing their grammar reputations. So there!

Contractions/Possessive

You're = You + Are
Your = possessive

It's = It + Is
Its = possessive

**************************

Misspelled words = Did you know that Misspelled is one of the most commonly misspelled words?

Definitely - middle of the word is 'finite'. Not sure why but many people misuse the word defiantly instead. Totally different animal.

Pilled - I see this a lot describing pilling of fabric on Ebay auctions. Piled does not mean the same thing.

Loose vs. Lose - You do not 'loose' weight. Some of us don't lose weight either, but that's another post for another day.

To/Too/Two - Please! I think we learned the difference between these in first grade?
I read a post from a woman whose (not who's by the way) husband tells her 'I love you to', to which she ponders 'Love you to what?'

Separate - it has 'a rat' in the middle

Desert vs. Dessert - remember you ALWAYS want 2 desserts! Especially when you spell desserts backwards and you are stressed!

Grammar - you don't want to correct someone's grammer and be called on it.

'I' before 'E' except after 'C' but there are a lot of exceptions. If in doubt, look it up!

TYPING IN ALL UPPER CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET! I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH EASIER IT IS FOR YOU TO TYPE THIS WAY -- IT'S TOO HARD TO READ.

i really don't mind if you decide to type in all lower case letters. after all, it's just email, right? and at least my brain doesn't have to pause at each letter like it does for all upper caps. by the way, it was really hard for me to type this and not use my shift key automatically. see? old habits die hard. which reminds me of some more commonly misused words:

die vs. dye
buy vs. bye vs. by
hear vs. here
threw/through - ughhh

Please don't be rediculous -- be ridiculous instead.

It's Pregnant, NOT Pregnate (?)

Ask for advice, NOT advise!

I know this is ALOT (grrrrr) of venting - it's two words by the way

a
lot

Two
Words

see?

I'm out of time, but I may come back and edit with more as I think of them.

by..............I mean..................buy..................I definitely mean BYE!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who am I?

My photo
I'm a SAHM of 4 kids living in the Chicago burbs and enjoying life!

Flashy Thingies

Background